Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Ubuntu Linux and Windows 8/10 (GPT) Dual Boot Solution

THIS SOLUTION WORKS IN MACHINES WITH x64 OS

Many of us, Linux Lovers are buying new laptops with super features such as super multicore processors, I TB Hdd, more than 4GB RAM and so on. Most of these machines come with pre installed windows 8/10.

Many Linux Users as usual dual boot their machines by creating a partition then fire up their live CD/USB for installation. This goes on well until you dual boot then see the windows start up screen instead of GRUB menu.

Many of us end up spending countless minutes, hours or even days on blog looking for the perfect solution. Personally I spent more than six months, subtract March 10, 2015 from October 22, 2015 for me.

TODAY, I wanna give you the ultimate solution to always display grub boot loader. This solution has been tested with my laptop, HP Envy.

STEP 1
Disable Fast Boot on Windows OS

I am lazy at typing and I hate copy paste. Lucky you got internet because you are reading this post. Navigate to How to Disable Fast Startup (Fast Boot) Sorry I copy Pasted the link and edited visible text but thank me I did  the goggling gor ya.

STEP2

Disable Secure Boot on Laptop BIOS

Press power button, press F9 then F10 to make changes in the BIOS Setup
Go to System Configuration - open Boot Options. By the way I am a Java and PHP developer who loves jQuery and Ember JS.
 - Check off SecureBoot
 Because I am a google expert, here is the link to a post to Disable BIOS secure boot on HP Machines.

BY THE I AM NOT A HP PROPHET NOR THEIR HIGH PRIEST. I just love the stability of their products.

STEP 3
By now, I am making assumption that you have Linux probable Ubuntu, Fedora, or MY LOVELY OS Linux Mint Mate (Maaa - tee). If not Install one! Then press power button, followed by F9 then select second option (Ubuntu/Debian/Fedora Boot Loader) press enter and YIPEEEE! YOUR LINUX IS ALIVE!!!!!!!!

STEP 4
Let us mess up with grub and Boot Loader!!! I NEED BOTH OF YOUR EARS (EYES). Fire up the console and drop to root.
For Ubuntu Type the following on console!
 i) apt-get install gedit - This install gedit text editor
ii) mv /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/ (This moves boot file one level down)
iii) cp /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ (Copy ubuntu bootloader to windows boot loader location)
iv) /boot/grub/grub.cfg (Edit grub.cfg file and change the following Change the line)
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi

 to

/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/bootmgfw.efi

SAVE (CTRL+S) then close GEDIT

Reboot your computer.

If this solution works, leave a comment. If it does not leave a comment too and I will assist.







No comments:

Post a Comment